Friday, January 7, 2011

:/

I'm not a teacher.  I never claimed to be.
I am not trained in dealing with children.
or organizing groups of people...

But... I (along with a few other volunteers) spend 3 days a week with some of the most adorable, needy, sad, hungry for love children.
and we do the best we can.
None of us are teachers.... heck one of us doesn't even speak English very well, but we love these kids!!

Our program has grown to over 50 kids.
That is a lot for 3-4 people to deal with.
We organize the best we can.... we have lessons and crafts and play games and have snack.

We don't have a building.
We sit outside in a field full of broken glass and trash.
We live in Grenada.... there aren't just nice buildings sitting around for rent.
Trust me, we've tried.  We've been turned down by every organization in the area.

Sometimes things don't go so smoothly.  Sometimes kids are very, very bad.  Sometimes I have to yell and send kids home.  Sometimes I get really, really, really overwhelmed because I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

I got a little dose of discouragement today... trying to think positive!! 

It's a new year. 
A fresh start. 
I hope 2011 holds nothing but success and happiness for Grenada.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I think it's wonderful that you still try and are making such a big difference! Even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes, you are making a HUGE difference! That's awesome!

Amanda said...

You are making a change and difference in those kids' lives no matter what you do! We are proud of you.

-Kelsey Coghill said...

thanks guys... a few discouraging comments were made & I'm a little bit sad. but we're starting over fresh in 2 weeks!

TiffanyClark said...

Kels, I am so proud of you for making this your mission/passion while you are in Grenada. I know it is sometimes rough but those children will remember you forever and you have and will continue to make a difference in those kids lives and in lives of the people who read your blog! P.S I LOVE THE NEW BLOG LAYOUT! P.S.S If you need any time of materials what so ever, please let me know and I'll send you some stuff! Love you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...