Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Polishing Sea Glass

My stockpile of sea glass was looking a little cloudy so I went to the internet to find out how to "polish" it and found that it's pretty darn simple.
Vegetable oil and an old rag is all you need!
It turns white-ish because of the salt that is still on the glass, but the oil removes it and lets the true color show!
I think sea glass is more and more beautiful every single day.

IMG_1495
Before

IMG_1496
After!
IMG_1497
These are all the colors I've found so far... still on the hunt for something red or pink!

See more of my sea glass projects {and this identical post} on my other blog today!

5 comments:

Marisa said...

I have TONS of sea glass at my parents house (I used to call it "pretty stones" when I collected it as a child) that I never did anything with because I didn't know your trick! I'll definitely have to try it. Maybe I can even incorporate it into my wedding decorations. :)

C said...

So pretty! I want to live somewhere where I can collect sea glass! Or at least visit somewhere!

Sharon said...

Thanks for the cleaning tip!
Aloha,
Sharon
www.tropicalseaglass.com

Completely Coastal said...

I didn't know that! Very awesome. I did use mineral oil on a large shell I found and it gave it lasting sheen.

Emily said...

Wow, it's beautiful! I didn't know it came in different colors!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...