Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sugar Cane!

Every Monday we go to Queen Elizabeth's Home for Children & yesterday the kids introduced us to their sugar cane crop.... by breaking down a salk, stomping on it to break it up into pieces & then chewing on the insides... it was quite educational.  They let me taste it too, I wasn't really a fan...it was just an odd taste, not really as incredibly sweet as you might think.
the sugar cane garden (I don't really know what you'd call it, garden, patch, crop)
What you chew on... one kid told me it cleans your teeth, which I highly doubt
 
  
 
This sweet boy has consistently asked me every time he's seen me about my watch he says "Miss, let me see your watch.... can you find a watch for me?"  But it's never in a rude or begging kind of way.... I hope someday I can get him a watch! 
They love watches! They're always pushing all the buttons & when I leave my watch is beeping & alarms are going off all hours of the day, haha.  One boy there has a watch... so they must be able to keep a watch of their own.  It's tough to know what you can give the kids because often it gets taken away... but maybe if it's strapped to their body, they can keep it? 

This is a Mango tree growing at the orphanage, yo can see the sugar cane behind it
I can't wait to visit them when the mangoes are ripe!

2 comments:

Reece said...

the kids are so cute! I tasted sugar cane just this week too, and I was surprised, not that sweet and I was not a fan of the texture.

Amanda said...

Maybe its an orchard?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...