Friday, January 29, 2010

St. George's


Today the SOs went down to St. George's which is the capital of Grenada... It was the first time that I had been since we got here... and it's only like 5 miles away!
We took the Reggae Bus down... it's more like a van than a bus and it only cost $2.50EC!
I got very, very, very claustrophobic in the bus though, I was in the very back, the windows were tinted, it was jammed full, and then we went through a TUNNEL. and we stopped in the tunnel. I honestly almost had a panic attack... it would have been quite embarrassing. but I lived.

We went to the mall, which was just very touristy and expensive, I did get 3 postcards for $1.. and a delicious guava smoothie! I am becoming obsessed with guava.

Then we went to the market area where they have fresh vegetables, fruit, eggs, spices, and lots of other stuff. I got some what I believed to be sweet potatoes, but then found out were yams, and yes they are different.  Yams are grown in south america, the caribbean, and africa... and are much sweeter than sweet potatoes and a bit dryer in texture... and the ones I got today were white inside!
We had them for dinner and they were so good! we didn't even need to add brown sugar, just a little butter and they were perfect.
I also got star fruit.  I don't really know how to describe the taste, kinda like a grape, kinda like an apple, and kinda not. but good.. and I got a whole bag for $3EC!  and they look pretty when you cut them.
We also went to a hardware-ish store called something that starts with a P, that had kitchen essentials, which we were all very happy to find a little cheaper than most places.  I got another pitcher, so we can have tea and koolaid and water! a big bowl for mixing stuff, 2 microwave & freezer safe storage containers, some sponges, lotion, shampoo and conditioner.  and they had fabric! I want to make curtains for our room sometime.

Did I mention it was really hot today? I was a sweaty mess.

once we got back to Grand Anse, Sherry (a girl I am so happy I met today!) and I walked up to the movie theater shopping center to check it out.  On Wednesdays you can watch a movie for $7.50EC, so maybe if we plan really well Lee and I can go to a movie this Wednesday!

and then I came home and did 4 loads of laundry. 4! how do two people get 4 loads in just a few days??

so here is a photo recap of the market :)



my finds. real VO5 shampoo for $5EC! lotion, dish soap, the pitcher, bowl, starfruit, yams... 
 
this guy just walked in at the perfect time. he's very Grenadian =)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...